How RideShare Accidents Happen
Now more than ever, people are using ridesharing to get around town. While ridesharing is convenient, there’s still the chance that you could be involved in an accident — and be seriously injured. There are many different ways rideshare accidents can happen. Passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and occupants in other vehicles can all be at risk for injury when involved in a rideshare accident. Here’s what you need to know.
Common Reasons for Rideshare Accidents
Some of the most common reasons rideshare accidents happen can be due to the following:
- Distracted driving - is often caused by talking, texting, changing the radio station, or eating while driving.
- Speeding - rideshare drivers who do not obey speeding limits on roads can put you at risk for an accident.
- Lack of driving experience - not all rideshare drivers may have a lot of driving experience under their belt.
- Not handling hazardous road conditions properly - inclement weather can pose a lot of road dangers, and rideshare drivers who fail to drive cautiously could put you at risk.
- Failing to obey traffic signs and signals - whether running a red light or blowing through a stop sign, rideshare drivers who ignore the rules of the road can cause an accident.
Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists are not able to communicate with a rideshare driver to avoid an accident. However, as a passenger, if you feel your driver is not driving safely, don’t be afraid to speak up and report your experience to the rideshare company.
How to Handle a Rideshare Accident
If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident, here are some things you should do:
- Call 911 - report the accident and let them know that you’ve sustained an injury.
- Take photos - having photos of the accident scene can be critical when filing a personal injury claim.
- Gather witness information - another crucial component of a personal injury claim is to have names and phone numbers of any witnesses.
- Obtain the rideshare driver’s information - this includes the driver’s name and phone number.
- Document your ride - take a screenshot of the rideshare app that shows the receipt from your trip.
- Contact a personal injury attorney - having an attorney that has extensive experience with rideshare accident injury claims is paramount to increasing your chances of a successful claim.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney
Rideshare accident claims are complicated, and determining who will pay for your injuries after a rideshare accident can be tricky. Seeking the advice of an experienced Los Angeles rideshare attorney can ensure you get the maximum compensation for your injuries. If you are unsure about how to proceed with a personal injury claim for a rideshare accident, we can help.
Contact Levin & Nalbandyan, LLP at (213) 267-3640 to discuss your ridesharing accident case today.