Ridesharing can be a safe way to get around town. However, you are still at risk of being involved in a car accident. So, what happens if you are injured in a rideshare accident and who can you sue? Read on to learn the answer to these questions.
Who is Liable in a Rideshare Accident?
You can be injured in a rideshare accident in one of these three ways:
- You are a passenger in a rideshare car
- You are driving or riding in another vehicle that has been hit by a rideshare car
- You are a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist hit by a rideshare car
If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident, you must prove that someone was negligent to be able to file a claim. When filing a claim for damages, you must be able to prove liability and the extent of your injuries.
The Obstacles in Rideshare Accident Personal Injury Cases
Filing personal injury claims can be tricky in rideshare accidents. Although a rideshare driver may have been at fault, it may be challenging to recover damages if the driver only has a personal auto insurance policy. This is a problem because personal auto insurance policies do not cover drivers who are operating their vehicles in a commercial setting like carrying passengers for Uber or Lyft. It’s best to consult an experienced personal injury attorney to find out your options on how you can get compensation for your rideshare accident injuries.
Steps to Take After a Rideshare Accident
If you’ve been involved in a rideshare accident and have sustained injuries, here are the first steps you need to take:
- Call 911 to report the accident and let them know you’ve been injured.
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Gather names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Document the drivers’ name.
- Take a screenshot of the rideshare app that shows the receipt from your rideshare trip.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible for your injuries.
- Contact a personal injury attorney to learn your rights.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney
Rideshare accident personal injury claims can be a complicated process. Seeking the advice of a skilled attorney can ensure you get the maximum compensation for your injuries. If you are unsure about how to proceed with a personal injury claim for a rideshare accident, we can help.
Contact Levin & Nalbandyan, LLP at (213) 267-3640 to discuss your ridesharing accident case today.