Scooter Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Helping Victims Obtain the Compensation They Deserve
Rental electric scooters, such as those offered by Bird and Lime, provide an eco-friendly and quick alternative to traditional modes of transportation. Using a phone app, you can locate a nearby scooter, unlock it, and ride it to your destination. Although they are convenient, the scooters pose potential risks to riders, pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers who share the same space. Mechanical defects, road hazards, and/or distracted drivers can all cause accidents that could result in serious injury.
If you were in an accident involving an electric scooter, whether you were riding it or collided with someone who was, our lawyers at Levin & Nalbandyan, LLP will provide legal representation to guide you through the complicated process of filing a claim against the responsible party. We have decades of combined legal experience and have successfully recovered millions of dollars for accident victims. Our team will be committed to helping you obtain the compensation you deserve.
To discuss your case with our experienced lawyers, call us at (213) 267-3640.
California Electric Scooter Laws
Bird and Lime scooters fall under California Vehicle Code §21225, which governs motorized or electric scooters.
According to VC §21225, riders must follow these rules in order to operate an electric scooter:
- Have a valid driver's license or permit
- Use the bike lane (riders are prohibited from riding on the sidewalk)
- Wear a fitted helmet regardless of age
- Park the scooter away from pedestrian traffic, including sidewalks or walkways.
- Do not carry packages or objects that prevent the rider from having at least one hand on the handlebars.
- Do not exceed the speed limit of 15 miles per hour.
- Do not ride with more than one person on the scooter
- Do not attach the scooter to another vehicle.
If you were injured by a Bird or Lime rider who failed to follow the law, contact our attorneys for more information to how to seek compensation.
Common Causes of Accidents
Electric scooters can travel up to 15 mph, which can be dangerous when the rider is navigating California’s crowded streets. Any number of factors could result in an accident. The most common causes of electric scooter accidents include:
- Unsafe use by riders: using scooters on sidewalks instead of bike lanes, riding with multiple people on one scooter, using scooters in prohibited areas
- Mechanical failures: brake malfunctions, defective batteries, wheel locks, loose handlebars
- Road hazards: potholes, raised ground, water on roads, construction zones
- Pedestrian/bike/vehicle collisions: attempting to avoid scooter riders, distracted driving
- Improperly stored scooters: trips and falls over scooters left on walkways, in front of buildings, or in vehicle parking spots
Liability of Scooter Accidents
Because many different factors can cause accidents, various parties can be held liable, including scooter riders, others on the road, or the scooter company or manufacturer. To recover compensation for losses, you must prove that the at-fault party’s negligence resulted in an accident.
Our Los Angeles electric scooter attorneys have extensive experience assessing accidents and can thoroughly investigate your case to determine liability and seek maximum compensation on your behalf.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
At Levin & Nalbandyan, LLP, we are committed to helping accident victims receive the settlement they need for medical expenses, pain/suffering, and lost wages. We will focus on the details of your case so you can take care of your health. Our lawyers also work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you won’t pay legal fees unless we win your case.
We are ready to provide the help you need. Call us at (213) 267-3640 or contact us online.
- $1,225,000 $1.225 MILLION VERDICT FOR A REAR END CRASH
- $1,000,000 $1 MILLION SETTLEMENT FOR RIDESHARE ACCIDENT
- $1,000,000 $1 MILLION SETTLEMENT FOR PREMISES LIABILITY INJURY
- $1,000,000 $1 MILLION SETTLEMENT FOR MOTORCYCLE CRASH
- $750,000 $750,000 VERDICT FOR PREMISES LIABILITY
- $700,000 $700,000 FOR CAR ACCIDENT
- $280,000 $280,000 SETTLEMENT FOR SLIP AND FALL
- $250,000 $250,000 SETTLEMENT FOR INJURY AT APARTMENT COMPLEX