Los Angeles Sex Abuse Lawyers
Call (213) 267-3640 to Let Our Firm Help You Obtain the Compensation & Justice You Deserve
Victims of sexual abuse can suffer a lifetime of physical, mental, and emotional damage that can negatively affect the way they live their lives. While the criminal justice system can punish the perpetrators for their heinous acts, the civil court can help victims achieve justice by holding the perpetrators liable for monetary damages such as lost income, emotional distress, as well as pain and suffering.
If you or your child has been the victim of sexual abuse in Southern California, our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys at Levin & Nalbandyan, LLP can help you hold the negligent party liable for their actions and recover your entitled compensation. With decades of experience and millions of dollars won on behalf of our clients, we understand how to build a strong and personalized case to achieve justice for sex abuse victims.
Proving a Sexual Abuse Case in Civil Court
Although there is no specific legal theory—or cause of action—to file a personal injury lawsuit for sexual abuse, victims have other legal theories available to them to pursue a case in civil court. Common examples include intentional infliction of emotional distress or assault and battery.
Since these sex crimes are egregious and grossly negligent in nature, juries typically award very high damages, ensuring the perpetrator is liable to pay an immense amount of money to the victim. In addition, a civil lawsuit can be brought against additional parties such as school, churches, business and other institutions based on negligent supervision or failure to provide proper security.
Signs of Sexual Abuse
Many people, especially children, don’t admit being the victim of sexual abuse or even don’t believe they are victims at all. Rather, they will display emotional, behavioral, and physical changes that may appear out of character to those who know them.
Common emotional signs of sexual abuse include:
- Depression such as constant crying, low self-esteem, withdrawal, or suicidal thoughts
- Severe anxiety such as clinging or nightmares
- Severe anger such as unmitigated aggression, tantrums, or increased irritability
Common behavioral signs of sexual abuse include:
- Sudden behavioral changes
- Changes in grades, schoolwork, or focus in academics
- Unexplained fears of specific places and types of people
- Fear of spending time alone with a specific individual
- Fear of being touched
- Reverting to activities and tasks performed when they were younger
- Substance abuse
- Self-harm such as self-mutilation or unexplained recklessness
- Excessively playing with their own private parts
- Engaging in sex play with toys, friends, and pets
- Creating drawings that depict sexual acts
- Inappropriate and unusual questions regarding sex
Common physical signs of sexual abuse include:
- Issues sitting or walking
- Rectal bleeding
- Physical pain or itchiness in their private areas
- Blood stains or other forms of discharge found on undergarments
- Wetting their clothes or the bed
- Sleeping issues
- Eating less or more than usual
- $1,225,000 $1.225 MILLION VERDICT FOR A REAR END CRASH
- $1,000,000 $1 MILLION SETTLEMENT FOR PREMISES LIABILITY INJURY
- $1,000,000 $1 MILLION SETTLEMENT FOR MOTORCYCLE CRASH
- $750,000 $750,000 VERDICT FOR PREMISES LIABILITY
- $700,000 $700,000 FOR CAR ACCIDENT
- $280,000 $280,000 SETTLEMENT FOR SLIP AND FALL
- $250,000 $250,000 SETTLEMENT FOR INJURY AT APARTMENT COMPLEX